Depending on the kind of guy he is, sometimes it isn't easy to express how much we love Dad. Father's Day is a chance to bypass the awkward hugs, cheesy cards and token pair of socks and do something awesome together. This year, Father's Day is Sunday, June 21, 2015, so you have one week to make your final plans. Need help? Here's 7 great ideas to celebrate Father's Day in Edmonton.
1. Porkapalooza (June 19-21 at Borden Park). Nothing says I love you quite like bacon. The 2nd annual Porkapalooza BBQ Festival is sure to "meat" all of Dad's expectations. The event is free to the public and features entertainment, food demonstrations, beer gardens, a kids' zone, marketplace, as well as local food vendors offering up all sorts of BBQ'd delights. There are a couple special events that do require advance ticket purchase, such as the Friday night Bare Bones Ribfest (June 19 from 5-10pm), which features five food vendors, full bar service and live musical entertainment. Entry tickets are $10 each and it's $1 per food ticket. Looking for something specifically on Sunday? Then try the ATB Father's Day Brunch instead. It runs from 9:30-11:00 am and is catered by The Century Group. The menu features all the classics including egg scramblers, sausage and hash, as well as Irvings Farm Fresh bacon. Brunch tickets are $30 for adults and $15 for kids under 12. You had Dad at bacon...
2. Father's Day Show + Shine Car Show (June 21 from 10am to 3pm at Celebration Church). The Father's Day Show + Shine Car Show is a family-friendly event that gives Dad a chance to rev his engine and ogle some mechanical masterpieces. In addition to the car show, there is also a free BBQ, food trucks on site, kids activities and special events for dads (at 10 am and 12pm). Does Dad have a muscle car or antique he would like to show off? Pre-register by Tuesday, June 16th and you'll be entered for a chance to win $500 cash.
3. Do It For Dads Walk Run (June 21 starting at 9:30am at Sir Wilfred Laurier Park). For the Dad who loves to start the day with a good sweat for a good cause, sign him up for the Do It For Dads Walk Run supporting Prostate Cancer Canada. You can choose from either a 1.6 km or 5 km walk/run and stay afterwards for live entertainment, refreshments and kids activities. Visit the website to register in advance or arrive at 8:00am on race day to register on site.
4. Edmonton Prospects versus Swift Current Indians (June 21 at TELUS Field starting at 2:05pm). Take Dad out to the ball game and root, root, root for the home team! There's nothing as nostalgically simple as a classic ball game on a Sunday afternoon, soaking up some sunshine while eating a ballpark hotdog with a cold beer. Tickets are available at the ticket windows one hour before start time or can be purchased in advance through Ticketmaster, at any InfoLink location on the University of Alberta campus, or any local Safeway location. A family pack includes 2 adult and 2 kids tickets, a large popcorn and 4 pops for $55. Visit the website for more ticket pricing information.
5. Father's Day at Bothy Southside. Does Dad welcome an opportunity to practise his Gaelic by trying to pronounce scotch names? Well, look no further than The Bothy where they have over 175 varieties of whisky. From Auchentoshan, to Bruichladdich and Laphroaig... Dad will be slurring his words before his first sip! The Bothy Southside is featuring a Father's Day event with a 3-course meal and whisky flight for $50. Call 780-761-1761 for more information.
6. Yellowhead Brewery Sunday Brunch (12:30-4pm). Beer at breakfast? Talk about bringing two great things together! If you've never been to the Yellowhead Brewery before, then you are in for a real treat. Not only are they serving up excellent local beer, they also run daily tours that offer up some interesting history on beer making and highlight the brewery's commitment to keeping the craft in craft beer. Treat Dad to a brunch of all-you-can eat classics with $4 pints and $2 beermosas and then join the tour at 3:00pm. Brunch is $18 for adults, $12 for seniors and youth, and kids under 8 eat for free. Call 780-423-3333 or email email@example.com for more information.
7. Cabela's (various locations). Treat Dad to a Cabela's gift card and then drive over to the nearest location and watch as he whiles away the afternoon perusing the very latest in fishing, camping, auto and ATV equipment—among many others. They are currently promoting a Father's Day Sale. Choose from incredible products like a 40" elite smoker, to a commercial-grade meat slicer, or even a camouflage recliner—seriously, this place has everything!
Aside from his many years of experience in real estate, Wally Fakhreddine is a Hall of Fame RE/MAX REALTOR® and in the top 5% of all Edmonton REALTORS®. Specializing in the Edmonton real estate market, he provides competent, professional and friendly service to all of his clients. Wally is eager to discuss Edmonton real estate market conditions, Edmonton homes for sale, Edmonton condos for sale, Edmonton duplexes, Edmonton town-houses new constructions, buyer brokerage or anything related to the Edmonton MLS. Contact Wally now at: 1.780.238.7384.
As a resident of Edmonton for over 30 years and expert Edmonton real estate agent, Wally is passionate about the city and will help both buyers and sellers with all the information or priorities they need to know about in order to make their home dreams a reality.